CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday 20 February 2008

My Trip... To Nowhere - Chapter Thirteen

We were all blinking rapidly. Bright white light was suddenly surrounding us, almost blinding us all. We stood there for quite a while, letting our eyes adjust to the sudden bright light, which was a huge contrast to the darkness.

“Man, this is bright.” I heard Josh say.

We were in a room, similar to the dungeons, except it had no cells. Just dull dark grey stone walls encircled us, and piles of boxes lay scattered on the floor. I was amazed that I hadn’t knocked into them earlier. I quickly scanned the place, in case of guards – or worse. I looked around at Josh and Nicky.

“You guys alright?” I asked.

They both nodded.

I was suddenly aware that we were all still holding hands, and I hastily let go of Nicky’s hand. I saw her blush slightly.

I glanced around the room again, and spotted a door. I made to move to it, but then I stopped dead in my tracks. Voices. Voices on the other side.

I whipped around to face Nicky and Josh.

“Hide” I hissed, and grabbed Nicky’s arm. I led her and Josh to a big pile of boxes to hide behind.

We were just in time, as the door opened. The three of us were crouching down. I glanced at Josh. He opened his mouth to whisper something to me but I put a finger on my lips, gesturing urgently for silence. I glanced over the box, and then ducked back down. Then froze. Huh? I looked back over the box. Rio? Then I ducked back down again. I looked at Nicky. She looked back at questioningly and I mouthed Rio’s name. Hers and Josh’s mouth fell open. They made to get up from their crouching position, but suddenly, I held them down. They looked at me in protest. I was suddenly unsure. I glanced back from behind the box, and then ducked back behind it. Rio wasn’t alone.

“Sir,”

The three of us jumped, and then remained squatting down behind the boxes.

“What?” we heard Rio say.

“We can’t find the rest… We’ve searched everywhere…” I’m guessing this was one of the guards.

There was a cold silence. Then,

“Well then, keep searching.” Rio said, with a hint of a warning.

“Yes sir.”

Then, footsteps. Footsteps walking away.

“Wait.”

“Yes sir?” said the guard, sounding uncertain.

“Have you found that other guard who seemingly got himself lost?”

“Er… Aye, do you mean Old Shorty sir?”

“Whatever his name is” Rio said, insensitively.

“Er… Yes sir, we did.” The guard said nervously. I could almost picture him looking anxious.

“Well?” Rio demanded.

“Well… Sir, you see, the prisoners… the prisoners had… imprisoned him in one of their cells.”

Ringing silence - and I did not dare to breathe. I began to think rapidly. Then,

“Very well, I shall see to him. Meanwhile… get the prisoners back. Find them. Bring them to me without harm. If I see a mere scratch on them…”

“But Sir,” the guard said, “Why? What does it matter if they are wounded or not?”

“Just do as I say.” Rio hissed.

There was a few seconds of silence, and then, the guard said, “Oh right. Of course, yes Sir.” Then, we heard footsteps as the guard walked away.

Nicky glanced at me, and I shook my head. Rio must still be in the room. Then, we heard the door open, and we stayed still again.

“Rio, we can’t find them.” Someone said. I recognized that voice. I glanced at Josh and Nicky to confirm who I thought it was – Richard.

“It’s like as if they disappeared.” said someone else. I also recognized that voice. This person must be Allison.

But whats going on? Why are the guards so friendly to them? Aren’t we meant to be on the run from them? Why are they looking for us?

There was a momentary silence, and then we heard Rio say, “Tom is very clever. He is quick on his feet and he thinks fast. Of course it will be difficult to find him. But to explain everything to him…”

“Explain what?” we heard Richard say, then, “Oof!” as I looked over the box to see Allison stamping on his foot.

“To explain that the guards really meant no harm, and that it was all a mistake in thinking that we are being used.” Allison said in a loud clear voice.

Her words rang in my mind. Nicky and Josh both looked shocked.

“I am happy here.” Rio said. And with those words, he turned his head slowly into my direction. I ducked back down quickly. Damn it! I had completely forgotten to duck back down! I looked at Josh and Nicky in panic. Then, suddenly a shadow loomed over us. We looked up to see Rio smiling at me. The three of us jumped back, and stood a few metres away from Rio, and Richard and Allison who joined his side.




TO BE CONTINUED…

7 Readers on the hill:

Redhead said...

da winged acrophobic...

... so, how old did you think i was before you got convinced that i am 15?

friedfrog said...

ah, but how did he know that it was Rio, not his clone?

other than that, great, and OMG please post the next chapter!!!

Redhead said...

friedfrog...


... you will find that out, in the next chapter - remember, Tom is very clever and fast..

i think i only got 6 more chapters to go until the end. =)

Redhead said...

friedfrog...


... you will find that out, in the next chapter - remember, Tom is very clever and fast..

i think i only got 6 more chapters to go until the end. =)

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

Thought you were in your early twenties. Anticipating another bending twist in the story.....

Redhead said...

da winged acrophobic...

... twists are my speacialty.

east43street said...

Is ET involved here? It is becoming more suspense now, Rio is not Rio anymore

Poor shorty, whatever happened to him.