CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday 2 February 2008

My Trip.... To Nowhere - Chapter Eight

Everyone looked so different after Rio explained what we should do. So sharp. So alert. We were ready. He knew the passages of the dungeons of by heart from attempting to escape before. All we need was…

“A distraction,” Rio muttered.

Even Nicky, whom I noticed before who sat in one place, gazing in the same direction, now stood up, taping against the bars impatiently, looked somewhat ecstatic. I looked at her, and noticed she is very pretty. How can anyone lock up someone like her? She must have noticed I was looking at her, and glanced in my direction. I quickly looked away.

“Aha.” Rio said at last.

I looked up at him. He was looking at me with bright eyes – a contrast to his dark hair, and hollow look.
I felt uneasy.

“What?” I said

He smiled at me, and said, “You.”

Everyone in his cell turned to look at me.

“What about me?”

“When the guards come to give us food, you can complain that you don’t like being on your own in one cell. So…” He trailed off, with an encouraging smile at me. Everyone else in his cell was smiling at me, and nodding. I could feel Nicky’s eyes on me, but I kept my gaze on Rio.

“So…” I said, also trailing off, waiting for a conclusion.

“So… after you convince the guard that you want to join us, the guard will open the cell door and you…” He paused to grin. “… Knock him out cold, and take the keys, and free us.”

I was dumbfounded. Me? Knock a grown man out cold…? Me? Ha! I actually started laughing. They looked at me like i was crazy.

“What?” Rio said, looking slightly annoyed. “Whats so funny?””

I stopped laughing, and looked at him. “You… you don’t actually think I can knock him out cold, do you? I mean… what with?” I gestured around my small cell. “I got nothing!”

He looked perplexed. “With your own two fists of course.”

Then it was my turn to look puzzled. They were all looking at me expectedly. All right. If they want me to… to knock out this guard, then… I’ll try… but no promises that I would be able to.

I nodded. “All right then…”

And so we waited.

We waited for the time for a guard to come to deliver us some food. I noticed that everyone was slowly getting bored, and were going back to their habits of gazing gloomily at a random spot on the wall.

Then, from the distance we heard shuffling footsteps getting nearer to us. Rio glanced at me and nodded at me in encouragement. I glanced at Nicky, and found she was looking at me. When our eyes met she smiled at me also encouragingly, and I returned the smile. Then, the guard came to view. He was short, and looked a bit on the overweight side. He shuffled nearer, and saw he was carrying a basket of food for us. He opened a small flap at the bottom of Rio’s cell door, and pushed some of its contents in. Then quickly shut it. He shuffled to my cell door, and was about to open it, until I said,

“How come I'm all alone here?”

He looked up at me. From up close I noticed he had a dopey expression on his face.

“Eh?” he said.

“How come I'm all alone here?”

“Aye, that’s right ye are.”

“Yeah, but why am I?”

“Why am you wha’?”

“All alone.”

“Alone?”

“Yes. Why am I all alone here?”

“Why shud’ I give a damn?”

“I want to move to their cell,” I nodded in Rio’s direction. I noticed that he was trying not to smile.

“An’ since when did ye thoughts ma’er to me?”

“I'm all alone here.”

“Yer all alone der.”

“Yes, and I want to move.”

“Ye wanna move.”

I was starting to get impatient. “Yes I want to move.”

He looked thoughtfully at the other cell.

“Well it don’t make no sense dat you’re alone ‘ere.”

“Yes, it doesn’t.”

“I cud move yer.”

I nodded.

“I beta check wiv mi boss.”

“No!” I said quickly.

“Why not?” he asked me, looking at me shrewdly with those dopey eyes.

“Because… because then it would mean that you have to go to him and come all they way back.”

“Aye, tha’ is a good point tha’ is.”

“So will you let me go to the other cell?”

“Wha’ for?”

“Because I'm all alone here, and I want to move.”

“Bu’ why wud dat concern me?”

I sighed, and glanced at Rio. This is going to take some time…



TO BE CONTINUED…

3 Readers on the hill:

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

Hope the next installation won't take some time. Cheers, sistah!

Redhead said...

Yup, during the time I lacked typing up posts, I was actually finishing the whole story! Now u wont have to wait as long.. Bruder. =P

second generation. said...

ha...chapter ni enjoy lebih sikit bila baca..banyak conversation..you did well on that..ada unsur lawak dalam perwatakan... keep it up..love from all of us..