CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday 14 April 2008

My Trip.... To Nowhere - Chapter Seventeen

It was a long and restless journey to… where? I had no clue where to go, and I had no idea what to expect when we get there. But I did know that we have to escape. Escape. The word escape had crossed my mind so many times. It now seems to mean nothing. I shook my head, trying to rid my thoughts.

We carried on walking; walking through this long, dim passageway, lit with not many burning torches on the walls. Josh took one and held it, making it easier for us to see where we were going. I was supporting Nicky, who was limping slightly. Josh walked by her other side. We were quiet, most of the time, apart from times when one of us would say, “It’s so dim here.” Or, “I wish I was home.” Don’t we all wish we were home…

My mind seemed numb as we walked. I noticed the grey walls… the plain grey stone walls. I even noticed the cracks and missing tiles on the floor. I took them all in numbly. Then, Nicky slumped over me.

“Tom.” She said; her voice was low. I looked at her. I noticed she looked very tired, and was in a bit of pain.

I stopped walking and held her. Josh paused, a little way ahead.

“Tom, we need to rest.” She whispered.

“We can't” I said softly. “We have to go on. Who knows, they could catch up to us anytime.”

“Who's ‘they’?” Nicky asked softly. I noticed her eyes were half-closed, and she leaned more against me.

“The bad people who locked us here, Nicky.” I explained gently. I tried to hoist her back up, but suddenly her body was heavy, now that she was not supporting herself. Then her eyes widened slightly.

“The people who took my brother…” she murmured, her voice trailing off.

I paused.

I waited.

I thought.

“Nicky…” I said softly.

“My brother.” She whispered, and I saw a tear drop from her cheek.

Then it clicked.

“Rio… is your brother.”

She didn’t say anything, but buried her head against my shoulder. I heard her cry. I looked up at Josh bewilderedly. I had never been in a position where a girl cries on me, and now I am in one, I didn’t know what to do. I held her whilst she cried, patting her back every now and again. It seemed a long time, till Josh said,

“Nicky’s right. We should rest for a bit.”

I looked up at him.

“One of should keep watch while the two sleep.” He looked at me. “I’ll keep watch first.”

I was relieved. All of a sudden, it felt my legs were heavy. I made my way to the side of a wall, and sat down, with Nicky beside me. She leaned against me.

“Everything's going to be alright.” I whispered.

At least, I hoped.



TO BE CONTINUED…

3 Readers on the hill:

Da Winged Acrophobic said...

A hint of romance here, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

Yeah..... I think this writer, the redhead is in love. Can't wait for the next chapter.

east43street said...

I do agree. There is obviously a hint of romance here.